Friday 22 October 2010

Making the wrong Call

So, I am now a barrister. I have been called to the 'utter' Bar. I have, in the words of Lord Justice Laws, begun my legal odyssey.

Yes, I did smirk just a little when he said that the ceremony.

It's already been a hell of a journey to get here, and I have to say my boat has certainly sprung a few leaks in the storm. The biscuits have all got weevils, I'm all out of wine, and frankly I'm downright suspicious about the coffee.

My internship is going well, and is sadly drawing to a close. In some respects, it will be a relief simply to have some free time. Between the internship and my job that has been certainly lacking.

The feeling that is nagging at me however, is have I made the wrong Call? I did not put in my QLTT papers, and in retrospect I think that was the wrong move.

I also wonder whether the BVC was the right decision at all. I do wonder how the qualification is viewed by legal employers. It would be interesting to know how firms view the BVC in, say, paralegal applications. That is, of course, not to say my failure to secure work is in any way related; that failure is my own. However it is a query that has popped in my mind from time to time.

I also wonder how the BVC is viewed outside the legal profession. I know I can sell it as a set of transferable skills and my CV is certainly not sparse. It would be interesting nonetheless to get an insider opinion.

Second, the statistical reality that I would have been in a better position with an LPC is hitting home. The changes at the Bar continue to reflect that perhaps the LPC becomes increasingly the better option. However, I made my choice; I knew the risks and I did it anyway.

I have increasingly turned myself to non-legal work in an effort to hedge my bets. I'm also tired of working for minimum wage when I would like to think I could secure something at least a little better. the next round of applications in March is looking like a very far off land indeed.

I better get bailing water.

Weevil, anyone?

4 comments:

  1. Oddy,

    In my firm (and old firm) the majority of the Paralegal are LPC qualified, although there are a handful of BVC qualified paralegals / assistants in the litigation and advocacy departments. The skills are definitely transferable - unfortunately it is a numbers game.

    The way I see it - never stop job hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. g8 post......
    law school classes that teach students how to use the Socratic method, speak confidently in public, and how to read and brief cases, all without wasting your time or money
    Law Degree Courses

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am looking for advertisement opportunities on your blog, if interested mail me on david[DOT]jones781[AT]gmail[DOT]com. Please let me know.

    Regards,
    David

    ReplyDelete