Wednesday 24 June 2009

Was it something I said?




I recently had the pleasure of undertaking work experience. I had also (perhaps foolishly) applied for pupillage. Having not heard a peep, I carried on regardless. I was therefore on my very best behaviour; I tried to make erudite comments, be interesting, engage with members and the other mini-pupils, was always exceedingly prompt and thought I had put on my best show. Indeed, on barrister even enquired as to whether I had applied. "Aha!" I though, a good sign!

Apparently not. Within 24 hours I had yet another rejection slapping me in the face, but to rub salt in the wound, it was from the very chambers who were so kindly sending me to the Outer Hebrides every day for some case or other. And with 3 days of placement left. How quaint.


Was it something I said?

2 comments:

  1. They are a funny old lot, these Chambers, no rhyme or reason to the whole pupillage fiasco, it's just a process that can't be taken too personally. Easier said than done though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think unfortunately, no matter how good you are on mini, if they have 12 spots and 12 people with "BETTER" (better being whatever they are looking for) you just wont get an interview end of. Its hard but try not to take it personally. There are just too many candidates for too few spots.

    ReplyDelete